Divorce Lawyers in Ludington, Michigan
The idea of divorce can be overwhelming, no matter how long you have been married. You probably have many questions about the process, as well as the legal issues involved with division of marital assets and determining spousal support. In addition, divorcing couples with minor children must address child support, visitation, and custody. While it may be possible to agree with your spouse on some of these matters, it is likely that there will still be some areas of dispute.
Our attorneys at the Van Den Heuvel Law Office have been representing clients in Ludington, MI and throughout Western Michigan for more than 27 years, so we know that any divorce case is far from routine. With an experienced lawyer at your side to assist with asset distribution, spousal support, and issues related to minor children, there is less stress about an uncertain future. When you leave the anxiety behind, you can move on to a positive post-divorce lifestyle.
Michigan Divorce Law Basics
Under Michigan divorce law, there are three key areas at the center of most cases:
- Division of Marital Property: State law requires that all assets acquired during the marriage be distributed fairly, but it does not require an even split. Therefore, many issues arise on what is fair, especially when there are complex properties like real estate holdings and business ownership interests involved.
- Spousal Support: Commonly termed alimony, spousal support may be appropriate in cases where one spouse requires financial assistance to maintain a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. Alimony payments may apply only during divorce proceedings, or may be required after entry of a final decree.
- Issues Regarding Minor Children: Child custody, visitation, and support are important considerations in a Michigan divorce case. The law requires that the child’s best interests be a priority when making a determination in these areas.
The Michigan divorce statute encourages spouses to reach an agreement on these components of a divorce case, but that is not always possible. Where disputes remain, the law includes provisions intended to resolve these issues.
Assisting Clients Throughout the Michigan Divorce Process
The attorneys at the Van Den Heuvel Law Office have extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of Michigan divorce cases. We help clients with:
- Working out an agreement with your spouse on asset distribution, even for complex holdings that present challenges when it comes to dividing equitably;
- Preparing all paperwork required to legally transfer ownership on assets, once you come to an agreement with your spouse;
- Advocating for you in disputes over alimony, whether you are the spouse seeking an award of spousal support or disputing it;
- Helping you and your spouse reach an agreement on an arrangement for child support, custody, and visitation that is in the child’s best interests; and,
- Fighting on your behalf in court as necessary.
Consult with an Experienced Ludington, Michigan Divorce Attorney
Please contact the Van Den Heuvel Law Office at 616-698-0000 with questions about Michigan divorce. You can also check out our website for more information or to schedule a consultation.