Divorce Lawyers in Ottawa County, Michigan
If you are considering divorce or currently involved in the proceedings, you probably have many questions and concerns about the process. You will have to consider division of property acquired during your marriage, and may need to address issues related to spousal support. Couples who have minor children must also focus on support, custody, and visitation. It may be possible to agree with your spouse on some matters, but disputes are also common.
The attorneys at the Van Den Heuvel Law Office understand your situation, and we have the knowledge and experience to know that a brighter future is possible with the right representation. We have been helping clients in Ottawa County and throughout Western Michigan for more than 27 years, assisting them with such divorce issues as asset division, alimony, and matters regarding minor children. Our lawyers are dedicated to guiding you through the divorce process, reducing the uncertainty, and eliminating stress you may be experiencing.
Michigan Divorce Law Overview
The Michigan divorce statute includes many provisions regarding dissolution of marriage, but there are three primary areas at the center of most proceedings:
- Asset Division: State law requires that marital property be distributed equitably, but this does not always mean an even split. There are often issues regarding what is fair, and additional complications involved when there are significant real estate and business interests involved.
- Spousal Support: In cases where one spouse requires financial assistance to maintain a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, an award of alimony may be appropriate. Spousal support obligations may be limited to the duration of divorce proceedings or extend after entry of a final decree.
- Minor Children: Care of children is a key factor in Michigan divorce cases, and the law is clear that the child’s best interests are paramount when it comes to custody, visitation, and support.
State law encourages parties in a divorce case to come to an agreement on these issues, but the statute will make a determination if couples cannot reach a compromise.
Representing Families in Michigan Divorce Cases
The team at the Van Den Heuvel Law Office has comprehensive experience with all matters related to divorce actions, so we can help with:
- Negotiating an agreement with your spouse related to asset division, including properties that may be difficult to divide;
- Preparing the documents necessary to transfer ownership for assets subject to an agreement;
- Helping you settle disputes with your spouse on alimony, whether you are seeking support or fighting against it;
- Working with you and your spouse to agree on matters related to support, custody, and visitation, keeping in mind the child’s best interests; and,
- Representing you in court and fighting aggressively on your behalf if you are unable to agree on divorce-related issues with your spouse.
Talk to an Ottawa County, Michigan Divorce Attorney Today
If you have questions about Michigan divorce and want to know more about your options, please contact the Van Den Heuvel Law Office at 616-698-0000. You can also reach us via our website for to schedule a consultation.