Ex-Wife of Former Globetrotter Says He Dropped the Ball With Child Support

Child Support
Ex-Wife of Former Globetrotter Says He Dropped the Ball With Child Support

Ex-Wife of Former Globetrotter Says He Dropped the Ball With Child Support

by Van Den Heuvel Law Office

Your divorce is final and a judge has ordered your ex to make monthly child support payments. So what happens if your former spouse refuses to make those payments? Is there anything you can do? You do have a few options if your ex is not current on child support payments. One of the first steps to take is to speak with a lawyers in order to determine which option is best for you. In some cases, the best move is to take your ex to court.

Former basketball superstar, Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters, is facing a tough battle off the court, after his ex-wife and adult son filed a lawsuit against him for unpaid child support. The lawsuit alleges that Mr. Lemon skipped out on $250,000 in child support payments after he and his wife divorced after being married for 22 years. His ex-wife claims that he left her with almost no money to support her children. Mr. Lemon’s son, who is now 48-years-old, claims his father’s lack of payment led him to a troubled upbringing and the lack of money eventually led to an arrest for forgery charges when he was 21.

According to the lawsuit, Mr. Lemon stopped paying the court-ordered monthly amount of $2,500 after just one year. However, he claims that he does not understand why his ex-wife and son are suing him. This is an interesting case. Should Mr. Lemon be forced to pay this money now that his son is a grown adult? If Mr. Lemon did fail to pay child support as he is accused of doing, will a court determine that he must pay the money now? Sometimes courts do order parents who owe child support to either pay it or go to jail, no matter how long the payments have been outstanding. Therefore, if a court were to determine that Mr. Lemon skipped out on those payments, he could be held accountable.

Child support can be a hot-button issue in any divorce settlement. Even when a judge orders one spouse to pay the other spouse monthly child support, the problems don’t always end there. Unfortunately, some non-custodial parents simply refuse to pay up, which can leave the custodial parent in a real bind. That’s why it’s important to speak with an experienced Grand Rapids child support attorney if your ex won’t pay child support. At the Van Den Heuvel Law Office, we can assist you with an uncooperative spouse who refuses to make monthly payments. Please contact our office to find out what steps you can take to receive the child support payments which you are entitled. Call us at 616-698-0000 or click here.



Other Posts

Posts You May Like


We See Legal Challenges
Where Others See Problems.

Request A Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Call Now Button