Grand Rapids Real Estate Attorney Handling All Your Legal Needs
Experienced in assisting buyers and sellers with purchase or sale of property
A real estate transaction can be a time-consuming and difficult undertaking if you do not have proficient legal counsel. Buyers and sellers can benefit from the guidance of an experienced real estate lawyers. At the Van Den Heuvel Law Office, we guide clients through the purchase or sale of residential and commercial property. We are detail-oriented and we closely scrutinize every aspect of your transaction to minimize any liabilities. With us by your side, you can confidently proceed with your transaction.
Commercial real estate
Most of the numerous types of commercial real estate transactions are complex and require the assistance of a knowledgeable and skilled attorney. We have handled many commercial real estate transactions, including:
- Buy-sell agreements. A buy-sell agreement, also known as a business continuation agreement or a buyout agreement, is a contract that provides for the future sale of your business interest or for your purchase of a co-owner’s interest in the joint venture. The agreement is often triggered by events such as death, disability or retirement of one of the owners
- Easements. An easement agreement gives someone the right to use property for a specific purpose without transferring the ownership of the property. Typically, this refers to land. It can be either a public easement or a private easement, depending on who benefits from the easement
- Construction liens. A construction lien is a claim made against a property by a contractor or other professional who has supplied labor or materials for work on that property. They are designed to protect professionals from the risk of not being paid for services rendered
- Liquor licenses. The Michigan liquor license application process is very rigorous and document intensive. If an applicant has not properly submitted the documents, then the application is rejected. In addition to verification of finances, throughout the application process, clients have to appear at investigations with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission and various municipalities to determine eligibility to become a licensee. It is imperative to retain a business litigation attorney experienced in the liquor license process to assist you
- Business sales. A business sale agreement helps you define and agree to the terms of the sale, including the purchase price and the closing details of the transaction. Both parties agree to certain representations and warranties. Having a consumer real estate attorney assist you is essential to protecting your interests
- Land contracts. A land contract, also called a contract for deed, is a contractual agreement between a buyer and a seller of real estate. This type of real estate purchase contract is a very popular form of seller financing, in the form of an installment sale. As part of the contract, the seller agrees to provide a deed to the buyer after all of the terms of the contract (including payment in full) have been met.
Residential real estate
At the Van Den Heuvel Law Office, we have extensive experience dealing with residential real estate matters. Some areas of our expertise are:
- Easements. An easement agreement gives someone the right to use property for a specific purpose without transferring the ownership of the property. The most common example is public utility easements.
- Deeds. A written deed is the instrument used to convey ownership of real property. The two most common types of deeds are warranty deeds (promises title is valid and clear) and quitclaim deeds (makes no representation that such title is valid).
- Mortgages. A mortgage is an instrument that is secured by specified real estate property. Mortgages are used by individuals and businesses to make large purchases of real estate without paying the entire value of the purchase up front. If the borrower fails to make payments under the mortgage loan, the lender typically has the right to foreclose on the property.
- Landlord-tenant law. Landlords and tenants each have certain rights and duties under the law. This area of practice includes elements of both real property law and contract law.
- Leases. A lease is a document which provides that the owner of a property allows another party to use the property for a fixed or indefinite period of time in exchange for payment called rent.
- Title disputes. Title disputes involve disagreements about who owns a piece of property or a portion of property.
Contact an experienced real estate attorney for an appointment
If you have real estate issues in Michigan, contact the Van Den Heuvel Law Office for guidance and advice. Our telephone number is 616-698-0000. You can also contact us via our online contact page. And we are available on Skype by appointment.