Grand Rapids Workplace Crimes Attorney Protecting Employers
Using more than 20 years’ experience to defend business owners
If you own a business in Michigan, it is imperative that you take action to protect yourself against claims of discrimination or other unlawful behavior. The legal team at the Van Den Heuvel Law Office has handled hundreds of employer disputes. We have a thorough knowledge of employment and labor laws, so we can assist you with taking preventative measures as well as defend you when an employee makes accusations against you. We provide you bold representation and we are fearless when it comes to protecting your rights.
Providing aggressive employment discrimination and harassment defense
Under Michigan law, an employer has a right to exercise individual discretion in hiring and firing decisions. However, you may not make an ultimate hiring or firing decision based on certain personal characteristics or because the individual belongs to a certain group. Employment discrimination includes:
- Unfair treatment because of an individual’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age (age 40 or older) or genetic information.
- Harassment by managers, co-workers or others in your workplace, because of an employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, age (age 40 or older) or genetic information.
- Denial of a reasonable workplace change that an employee needs because of his or her disability or religious beliefs.
- Improper questions about or disclosure of an employee’s genetic information or medical information.
- Retaliation because an employee complained about job discrimination or assisted with a job discrimination proceeding, such as an investigation or lawsuit.
Defending business owners against false accusations of discrimination
As an experienced criminal attorney, Howard Van Den Heuvel is uniquely qualified to represent business owners who have been falsely accused of harassment or discrimination. We believe that working with employers to enact positive policy, implement appropriate employment contracts and prevent false accusations is the best way to protect business owners from threats and promote a healthy and save work environment. An employer is also required to train managers and employees regarding workplace harassment and discrimination. You are required to know how to conduct a workplace investigation. Proper planning and training in these areas is important when it comes to protecting the rights of your business. However, when preventative actions are not enough and you need a trial attorney on your side, we are fully prepared to defend you in court.
Schedule an initial consultation with a workplace crimes attorney today
If you own a business and you need the assistance of a workplace crimes attorney, contact the Van Den Heuvel Law Office. Our telephone number is 616-698-0000 or we can be reached via our online contact page. We are also available on Skype by appointment.